Arrey and Derry
The southern part of Sierra County along the Rio Grande is noted for its emphasis on agriculture. As early as the 1870s this area was settled by Hispanic farmers and ranchers. They were attracted to the abundance of water and a long growing season. They established the small communities of Derry and Arrey. Arrey was named El Bonito by the first homesteaders in the 1880s. The town's name was changed to Arrey (a-Ray) to honor Urbano Arrey, who became the first postmaster in 1901. Derry, originally named Loma Parda (Gray Mountain) was settled in 1869. The name Derry was chosen to honor a soldier who had served in the U.S. Army with the father of a local farmer.