Cutter, New Mexico
Cutter was originally a railroad station constructed 11 miles south of Engle as another water stop for the railroad. It was primarily a shipping point for ore from the Caballo Mountains and Hillsboro and for transporting supplies through the Palomas Gap to the west side of the Rio Grande. Cutter reached a population of 3,500 during the mining boom of the 1890s. The last original building was torn down in 1956. A new settlement has sprung up centered around the established ranches. The only remains of the original town of Cutter is one railroad sign.