Elephant Butte Inn and Spa

Hillsboro, New Mexico...Part 2

From December 1877 to 1880, the town was home to 300 residents. By 1880, there were 4 saloons, 4 grocery stores and a post office. Because Hillsboro was in the heart of Apache territory, a garrison was established on the North Percha to protect the miners from outlaws and the Apache. The town continued to grow and became the county seat in 1884. Gold and silver mines continued to produce even through the 1893 silver panic and depressions. Hillsboro's economy diversified as ranchers settled in the surrounding area. The town's Hispanic district developed east of Percha Creek, a small gardening area called Happy Flats. The commercial district, primarily Anglo, developed west of Percha Creek with hotels, boarding houses, stores and a post office.

A brick courthouse was built in 1892 on the hill just south of town near the 1892 Union Church, an Episcopal church still in use today. The ruins of these buildings can be seen on Elenora Street. Several more buildings from this era can be seen on Main Street.

The photo below: this is inside the Union Church. These chairs are still used every Sunday for two services.

Add new comment

Search form

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish