Historic Town of Winston
Winston was founded in the early 1880s by miners who found Chloride "too rowdy." They moved 2 miles north, settling in Fairview. The town grew to about 600 people. In 1929, the town changed its name to Winston in honor of Frank H. Winston, a local miner, businessman and legislator. Winston flourished until the silver panic of 1893. Frank winston's old house still stands on Main Street, as do several other buildings he owned and built. Many other buildings were destroyed in a flood in the 1950s. The old schoolhouse, built in 1890, is visible to the east from Main Street. It is located on private land.