Historical Town of Chloride
Harry Pye, an Englishman and prospector, was delivering freight for the U.S. Army in the late 1870s when he discovered silver float in a canyon. After completing his freighting contract, he and two other men returned to the area in 1879 to stake a claim. A tent city grew up nearby and became an established town. Originally named Pyetown, then Bromide, it became known as Chloride after the type of high-grade silver that was mined in the area. It was the center for all the mining activity in the area, known as Apache Mining district.