History of Sierra County, Part 4
Following the construction of the Elephant Butte Dam in 1916, the town of Hot Springs grew around the hot mineral springs area that had been used for centuries. As knowledge of the waters' healing powers became more widely known, people journeyed here to take the mineral baths. The town continued to grow as a health and spa resort. A county-wide vote in 1936 moved the county seat from Hillsboro to Hot Springs. In 1950, Hot Springs changed its name to Truth or Consequences as part of a publicity stunt for the Truth or Consequences radio show produced by Ralph Edwards. With the increased popularity of Elephant Butte Lake, a state park was established in 1965. The community of Elephant Butte grew along the Lake and was incorporated n 1998. The city offers a wide variety of support services to thousands of recreational visitors annually. This photo is circa 1920s of the Dam.