Monticello, New Mexico
Monticello was originally named Canada Alamosa ("Canyon of the Cottonwoods") and was settled by ranchers and farmers in 1856. It was built in a square to protect residents from Apache attacks. Remnants of the surrounding adobe walls can still be seen. The town weas renamed in 1881 when a post office was established by the first postmaster, Aristide Bourguet. He named the town after Monticello, New York. Placita and Monticello today are home to several organic farms. These farms produce highly regarded products such as fruits and vegetables, herbal health and beauty products and balsamic vinegar.