Elephant Butte Inn and Spa

Historical Town of Chloride

Harry Pye, an Englishman and prospector, was delivering freight for the U.S. Army in the late 1870s when he discovered silver float in a canyon. After completing his freighting contract, he and two other men returned to the area in 1879 to stake a claim. A tent city grew up nearby and became an established town. Originally named Pyetown, then Bromide, it became known as Chloride after the type of high-grade silver that was mined in the area. It was the center for all the mining activity in the area, known as Apache Mining district.

Añadir nuevo comentario

Formulario de búsqueda

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish