Las Placitas, NM
Las Placitas ("Little Plazas") is located 2 miles south of Monticello along the Canada Alamosa River. It was settled in the 1840s by the Sedillo family, whose descendants still live there. San Lorenzo Catholic Church, built in 1916 still stands. The original schoolhouse, a dance hall and several houses also remain. During peak years, more than 1,000 families lived in Monticello Canyon, which contains both Monticello and Las Placitas. Today, there are fewer than 100 families.